We’re shining the spotlight on one of our lesser-known forms of treatment.
Shockwave Therapy, at times, goes under the radar. But it shouldn’t – not only is it gentle and non-invasive, it can be very effective in treating a variety of conditions from tendonitis and tennis elbow, to muscle strains and shin splints.
In fact, around 80% of all patients report a substantial improvement in their clinical situation after just three rounds of treatment.
So, What Exactly is Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave Therapy, also known as ESWT or Radial Shockwave Therapy, delivers high-pressure acoustic shockwaves to areas of pain or discomfort.
Put simply, it’s like a deep tissue massage, but much more intense.
To administer the treatment, we use a handheld wand over the targeted area, allowing shockwaves to pass through the surface of the skin to stimulate pain relief and tissue repair. The device pulsates at a very high frequency, providing deep pressure treatment.
What Conditions Can it Treat?
A growing number of research suggests that Shockwave Therapy is effective in treating a variety of conditions including (but not limited to):
- Chronic pain
- Heel pain (plantar fasciitis or heel spur syndrome)
- Achilles pain
- Muscle tightness and muscle knots, such as in the calf muscles
- Shin pain
- Arch pain
- Children’s knee pain (Osgood-Sclatter disease)
- Hamstring, shoulder and patella
- Tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis)
Talk to Total Balance Healthcare for more information on conditions shockwave therapy can treat.
Does it Hurt?
There may be some levels of discomfort during treatment, depending on the level of pain that the patient is already experiencing in the area. However, since treatment only lasts for a few minutes, most can tolerate the discomfort quite easily.
What Are The Benefits of Using Shockwave Therapy?
Treatment is non-invasive
- Most patients can feel a reduction in pain within the first 24 hours after treatment
- Shockwaves can stimulate a number of positive responses including reversal of chronic inflammation, stimulation of collagen and dissolution of calcium build-up
- One session of Shockwave Therapy is equivalent to 7500 eccentric exercises
- It helps to break down any stiff or scarred tissue
- Increases flexibility and softness of the soft tissue
- Promotes circulation and healing
- No anaesthesia required
- No medication required
- High success rates and improved quality of life
Shockwave Therapy in Melbourne – Why Choose Total Balance Health Care?
With experienced therapists who keep up with the latest news, studies and techniques surrounding Shockwave Therapy, you can trust us to deliver a treatment plan that suits your condition. You can rest-assured that we also use modern and certified equipment.
To find out if Shockwave Therapy in Melbourne could be beneficial for you, make a booking on (03) 9773 8085 or schedule an appointment online.
You can also visit our Frequently Asked Questions Page for more information.