Regardless of age or gender, 80 per cent of the population will suffer from back pain at some time in their life.
Common causes of back pain include:
- extensive sitting or standing
- heavy lifting
- constipation, irritable bowel and endometriosis
- menstrual pain
- insufficient flexibility
- muscle weakness
- dysfunction in the middle spine, lower limbs and pelvis.
There are several more serious causes of low back pain such as disc injury, fracture, tumour and infection.
Due to the many different causes of back and neck pain, we are trained to differentiate between uncomplicated back pain and back pain requiring referral to specialist care- such as your GP.
By accurately diagnosing your condition, we will develop the most effective course of action involving treatment and rehabilitation that manages your specific back pain.
Our skills will:
- improve joint mobility
- reduce muscular tension, inflammation and nerve irritation
- improve blood supply and drainage to and from the spine and pelvis
- reduce the duration of low back pain episodes
- help prevent future episodes
- offer advice on posture, exercises and stretching
- provide advice on improving your ergonomic environment
- provide guidance on diet, hydration and exercise
- communicate and plan treatment with your GP and insurer
- refer you for radiological assessment when indicated and required.
Top tips for back care:
- seek osteopathic advice regularly
- keep mobile and exercise daily. Nothing is better than walking!
- during repetitive tasks or heavy labour, make sure to vary your rhythm, take regular breaks, and have a stretch
- keep well hydrated to keep your spine more mobile
- eat sufficient protein to help repair tissue
- be careful when lifting
- have regular osteopathic care during pregnancy and while breastfeeding
- ensure you have a supportive mattress
make sure your children do not carry a heavy bag on one shoulder or spend too much time in front of a PC or TV.
Do you have back pain?
Seeing one of our osteos may help. To book an osteopathy appointment in Chelsea Heights, you can book online or you can call us on (03) 9773 8085 .
If you’re a private health insurance holder, ask our reception team whether you’re eligible to receive a subsidized consultation price.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us! We are here to help 🙂
For our best tips & tricks, follow us on Social Media!!! We love to share the good stuff